Monday 3 February 2014

Pre production log and justification: film

This post is logging my progress in the pre production stage.

Storyboards









I first developed summary storyboards in order to get the idea of what  the time base media is going to be about. I included every edit so that the seqence was clear in my head. I also made alternative endings and personality storyboards. Stick men were not used because they represent nothing. 

The detailed storyboards is the among the first things completed in this stage. I have developed storyboard that offers information about the camera shot, what the scene shots and the choice of sounds. This  method of defining the scenes is great for displaying the overall story to the peers. I have received positive feedback about the logical sense of the story. Although I had to swap a couple of scenes before the filming process, I did not have to make any more changes. Attending the work shop about visualizing gained me some skills to produce meaningful sketches.



In addition to this, I used orange pen to represent the highlights and the blue for the focal point. This established  hierarchy on my storyboard whilst maintaining low  fidelity, making it clearer for my audience to comprehend.

There are some additional storyboard for alternative endings and emotion. This painted a precise picture of the atmosphere and doing a voice over. There is finished storyboard where I used real photos to emphasize my ability to experiment.

Changing however I slightly altered the storyboard due to the feedback given by my peers inside and outside of University. I deleted many scenes at the beginning to ensure there were enough content of me speaking on the microphone. I also had to change the ending to allow the video to make sense.

Filming

The filming process was successful due to many factors. I used one of my friends to film me performing the task of preparing and doing a voice over. He has experience in filming so that was an advantage. Recording using Phone enabled me to gather clips taped at 1080p. As a precaution, I gathered about 5-10 minutes worth of clips to ensure there is enough to work from.

Lighting was the most essential factor that makes the clip look visually pleasing. The light sources created contrast between the shadows and the highlights, making it look dynamic.

Landscape was the chosen orientation for the entire sequence. Although it is not mentioned on the brief, I favor this to ensure that no issues occur in the production process. If I had more  time and knowledge about the issues about filming in portrait, I would use the method.

I thoroughly eradicated any continuity errors in films to ensure the impact in not reduced. Whenever there was a mistake, I re-filmed the clip. Although there is a minor mistake, it should not be noticeable.

Overall the clips taken are very faithful to the original storyboards. The next part of the process is to produce the short clip.


No comments:

Post a Comment