Wednesday 5 February 2014

Shooting

For my shooting, I referenced my storyboards to ensure I get the timing right. In this article I am going to log what I filmed and then why I used those specific feeling and shots.

Once I had a free weekend I was able to film all of my clips. To ensure the quality was high I managed to use my lights to offer contrast. I had an assistant to help film the clips. I used the iPhone C5 to for its camera quality.







For the first scene I decided to film it from an aerial view to ensure the camera looks captivating for the audience.  The next part shows the process of me walking towards the stairs. A mid shot view was used to show the computer to make the main focal point. Having the light flickering was a design decision to ensure a dark theme is included in the design.



 The next scenes revealing the prepare process of preparing the voice over. I included a shot of me slamming the door and then placing the computer on the table. Overall, I took a lot of lighting and shots to ensure the most effective clips were recorded. I originally had shot me opening the door but it was made redundant to ensure other important scene were featured.  In this section is used many point of view shots to present a clear journey.



The next edits reveal the process of assembling the microphone. This included getting it outside of the box and then screw in the bolts. I took my time with the screwing process because I intend to apply a very good slow motion effect to ensure the pacing of video feels right.



  The next shots reveal the process of connecting the microphone to the computer. A side view of me putting the microphone on the table is needed to prevent the audience from getting lost.  I thought the very close shot of turning off the mute button was needed. There is a close shot of the USB cable being connected to the lap top.  The use of pushing buttons and banging stuff is to balance the use of movement against interacting with objects. Overall these scene would enable the clip to show jump cross edits.

  To activate the computer, a side shot of the switch being activated appears next. The use of the scene signifies to the audience that the task being performed requires the computer. This makes the earlier scenes relevant.  The following scene just shows me logging onto the program. 


 Many time based media clips have scenes where objects appear suddenly. I thought the disk would be a great idea to apply. The disk is an iconic signifier that connotes I am recording the documentary's voice over onto a disk(logical). This was filmed at the 11th hour due to idea being conceived at the post production stage.



These quite close shots reveals the last moments of the preparation. This includes drinking a drink, turning on the volume and opening the file. I decided the shots of graphical interfaces and me should be filmed at different times. This was to prevent any confusion between me and the director. I am also bias of filming everything at once. 

Overall the first part of the film has a nice pace. I intend to demonstrate the more important section of  the video. 



 This is the beginning of the recording process. These scene shows a comical way of recording my voice. The chipmunk voice is used to exaggerate the sound of speaking and apply that it takes quite a lot speaking to complete a professional voice over for YouTube. I added more light to signify enjoyment. I included an interesting shot of the timeline to provide a sense of time.


The director took many shots of me speaking from different perspectives. This was ensure the video maintains the audiences' attention. I used the design principle, repetition, to enhance quality of the video. I used different sections of the clips to present different moods.  10 minutes of time were used to record all of the recording scenes.
 This is a effective shot of the audio levels increasing. A sound, such as a clank or a bit, acts as some kind of countdown for the voice over to end.


 Before this scene appears, there are already used scenes of me speaking. After the scenes end, I put on the export scene. This was recorded before any of the speaking scenes. Stated in the storyboard, the sound typing will be included in this scene.



These scenes were also recorded at the 11th hour. The ending should end with an ending. With that in mind, I used my sketch book and developed new storyboards to draw a conclusion. The best ending was me pressing the button, resulting in the disk exiting the machine. 

There will be an article on the post production and there will be slide shares of all 7 storyboards.





No comments:

Post a Comment